Saturday, June 13, 2009

Random Procession in the Streets

Walking home from the Termini today, there was some sort of procession on Via Merulana. I'm not exactly sure what the procession was for but it involved an alter of some sort, as well as several priests and monks. It consisted of about 100 people, priests and monks first followed by what I guess you could call civilians. The group was relatively small, but was led by a police car in the front, and behind was a full lane of traffic. I attempted to research what type of holiday or event it could be for, but there was no information available. I think it was some sort of memorial service for a saint of the church or something along those lines, only because priests and monks were involved. This assumption only comes from knowing how religious the people of Rome can be, and how many have strong ties to the church. Other than that idea, I really am not sure of what was going on, but it was interesting to see!

The streets of Rome are always a happening place. I am not sure whether it is just life that can be found in any major city or at this is just life in Rome. I have never lived in a place where every week certain streets are shut down for parades, festivals, markets, or even tourists. The narrow streets throughout the city always seem crowded. It is unusual for me, but interesting to see different events going on all around the city streets.

No comments:

Post a Comment